- This competition is open to all amateurs and professionals. Professionals may enter the Pro/Am Ballroom events as well as the Jack and Jill and Open to All events.
- Pro-Am events are defined as a professional teacher dancing with a student.
- Pro-Am levels available are novice, intermediate and advanced. There are no age division categories.
Open To All Competition
- This category is open to all couples, students or adults, and all levels.
- The syllabus is open, and can include choreography and non-syllabus figures.
- Costumes are encouraged.
Cabaret / Showcase Division
- The Cabaret / Showcase Division is open to any style of dance.
- An entry may consist of a solo performer, couple, or teams of 3 or more performers.
- Lifts, aerials, acrobatic moves, drops, slides, breakaways, switching of partners, and reverse lead/follow are allowed but not required.
- Age Requirements:
- To dance solo, the competitor must be 12 years or older.
- To dance in Couples or Group, age 12 and older can dance.
- Props are permitted.
- Performance time is a minimum of 2 minutes and maximum of 4 minutes. Timing starts with movement with or without music.
- Competitors select their own music and have choreographed routines.
- Dance Costumes are required.
Jack & Jill Competitions
- Dancers enter a Jack and Jill competition without a partner, and are randomly paired with different partners during the event. Try your luck... There's no pressure and lots of fun! Jack & Jill competitions are an ideal way to showcase competitors' skill in spontaneous swing and salsa dancing, especially the ability to dance well with a variety of partners.
- All dancing in Jack & Jill competitions is to be lead and follow. Side-by-sides & breakaways are allowed. Note that the common requirements apply. Costumes are prohibited, but appropriate attire is required.
- There is no restriction on drawing one's previous partner, regular partner, or "worst nightmare" - it's the luck of the draw.
- West Coast Swing: No routines, lift, aerials, planned entrances or exits are allowed. Breakaways (12 count maximum) and drops are permitted.
- Salsa: No routines, planned exits or entrances allowed. Lifts and aerials are permitted. Breakaways (12 count maximum) and drops are permitted but not required.
Judging Criteria (Swing, Ballroom, & Latin)
- Competitions will be judged using the Relative Placement Scoring System based on the following criteria:
- Timing: All dances are danced beginning on the downbeat. Timing extends to much finer distinctions than a single beat. It includes whether a competitor is fractionally ahead or behind the beat as well as matching the syncopations of the music.
- Teamwork: All dances are connected, partner dances. The demonstration of this connection and the appearance of "lead/follow" or "action/reaction" between the partners is an expected part of any competition dance. One partner ignoring or "out-dancing" the other, or jeopardizing the safety of the other, indicates poor teamwork.
- Technique: How well the competitors execute movements encompassing their dance represents technique. This includes control of balance and weight, foot placement, body lines, and spins.
- Presentation: Creating an atmosphere of excitement by inviting and generating interest in a performance is the desired effect of good presentation. While showmanship is one aspect of presentation, it cannot substitute for good dancing. Good sporting conduct before, during, and after the dance is also an element of good presentation.
Affiliate Organization Rules
- WSDC Rules will be followed. https://www.worldsdc.com/
- CTST Rules will be followed. http://countrytwosteptour.
- The organizers of this event bear no responsibility for the loss or theft of personal property. The High Desert Dance Classic and Antelope Valley College cannot be held liable for any injury sustained while in attendance at this event.
- The Organizers reserve the right to cancel or combine events as they deem necessary.
Questions? Feel free to contact us anytime:
High Desert Dance Classic
190 Sierra Ct Ste C-10
Palmdale, CA, 93550
Email: Please use contact form.